Things started off rather well this morning. Hit the Snooze button twice on my alarm, didn't wake Sleeping Beauty as I got ready for work, and as such didn't endure her wrath because of it.
I was supprised, and rather happy to see the Cats asleep and silent as I hopped in the shower. The Birds could be heard through the windows.
I kissed sleeping beauty goodbye and begun the trek to work. It was nice and warm...well cool but warmer then normal. The snow is melting and spring is around the corner. I can't wait for it to come in all its glory.
Here is a list (somewhat unrelated) of things I am not fond of hearing early in the morning.
- My alarm Clock
- The Cats
- "Get your shovles out we got 12 inches of snow lastnight"
- The pitter patter of rain drops as I open the door at 6 am
- The woosh swoosh sounds of the air compressor like device that powers the city bus winshield washers(I swear it sounds ten times louder then it needs to be)
- "Attention Subway Coustomers we are currently expirencing Delays.......we appologise for any inconvience"
That last one is the worst. It happens far more frequent then not, in fact I can almost bank on it happening DAILY. It's a gamble really. Sometimes it doesn't affect you and so the worst thing you have to deal with is the crackly annoying sound of the announcer every 2 minuts appologising for another delay somewhere on the subway line. Other times, like this morning, the delay affects your particular portion of the subway and you have to endurea half hour wait for your train.
Now, one of the best parts of my morning HAS to be getting on the subway early morning and seeing it nice and empty. This happens every morning. RARLY is there more then 20 ppl per train when I board in the early hours of the day. I can relax, sit back put my feet up read the paper and not have to worry about making room, because there's plenty! Even when we get past Sheppard station there is normally lots of room. But during delays and such, 6 am feels more like 9 am or something. Standing room only, in fact people were being left behind at the stops because there was no room on the train. Then you have to fight to get to the door almost missing your stop. It's to be expected seeing as how it was the first train for nearly half an hour.
One delay causes so much trouble.
Boy I'd really hate to be the poor poor unfortunate person who's responsability it is to notify the public of this delay. He must hide somewhere in a locked office as not to get linched. lol
Still, its hard not to get angry at such things, when they happen every day. I am beignning to understand how the frustrated GO Transit riders are feeling actually. When you pay for a particular service and are not delivered what you believe you are paying for, its frustrating.
Now, I have a close family member who has to deal with the brunt of such public outcry more then he might want, so I understand that the drivers often have to unfairly deal with the biggest brunt of this problem. When a bus is half an hour late who do we blame? The driver of course! It isn't his fault, just like it wasnt the Subway operator's fault this morning that there was half an hour delay. But we blame them none the less. I guess the subway operator has it a little easier, he can hide in his little room, the bus driver has to sit in the open and explain to person after person why it isnt his fault the weather is bad, or the road was closed, or the last 3 busses were short turned, or the car infront of him decided to hit the car infront of them causing an accident. I have respect for TTC operators(after I calm down form the half hour delay or course )
Anyhow, its still a great day and I look forward to spring!
5 comments:
It's all part of the job. You learn to let things in one ear and out the other. I don't even bother trying to explain. It's a waste of breath. I simply smile and nod and keep driving. Windshield wipers! One of my pet peeves too. Try driving 9 hours in the rain with noisy ones. Thank God more of our busses are bing equipped with intermittent wipers and I am really thankful when I get quiet ones. Hopefully, as funding increases, so will service and equipment supplies. All transit delays are due to some problem that cannot be prevented by the operators. Unfortuneatly, we are the front line employees wearing the uniform and we get blamed, even though it wasn't our fault. That's human nature I guess. It goes with the territory and as \I said, you learn to ignore it
HEARING the cat in the morning? With my cat it's more like she'll come sleep on my face or bite my toes.
When I come home at night.. that's the noise.. something like this:
"MEOOOOWW! Daddy's not paying attention to me! LOOOVE ME!"
Like I'm gonna get right now after I go home from MacDiv (at 11.. yikes!)
I don't get the big greeting at the door anymore, Kim does, not me.
However, I do get harrassed when ever I sit down on the couch to watch TV. Thats right, I get one on my lap and the other behind my neck on the couch one licking at me and the other trying to kneed my shirt.
I suppose any affection from a cat's good affection right?
You still there Dan?
Alive and well just not much to blogg about as of late :)
Post a Comment