Monday, April 28, 2008

The Family Resturant

Well, I was not aware that we had a web site, it appears we do. Go check it out! Exciting! Let me give you a little bit of history!

My family back home owns and runs the Victorian Rose, a very quaint little place that I myself worked for many many years. Since I was old enough to hold down a job, and perhaps a little younger! I washed dishes, waited on tables, cooked, washed more dishes, mowed grass, you name it! My Mother, Sister, Sisters Partner, and my Father run the restaurant. I am very proud of them for all the work they have put into the place. Since I have been living in Toronto, my family has done wonders to turn the place around, decorating, changing the menu. Many restaurants have come and gone in the quiet little town of Kingsville, but the Tea Room has stood, under one owner or another for a very long time.

I suppose one day my Sister will take over. She moved home oh about 5 years ago from England, with her Partner and they have helped to change the menu, decor other things like adding wines and such.

Parents can't work forever right? But believe you me, if there is anyone who could do it, mom is probably that person. I'm not sure if I've ever met ANYONE who works harder and is more dedicated to what they do than her.

Don't take my word for it, please visit their website, leave a comment in the guest book perhaps! Those who know my family and have eaten here will agree, it is a 5 star establishment!

Oh, I miss certain parts of living at home. Let me tell you, free food, ya see there's a reason I am as plump and jolly as I am! But being close to family is what I miss the most. Thats right, I said it. Being close to family is something I miss.

I am starting a family of my own now, I have a beautiful wife and we have a Baby on the way. But only seeing your parents once or twice a year just down right sucks. I'm not gonna get all nostalgic on ya now, no worries there. But sometimes, when I'm sitting on the city bus, 12 in the morning after a late evening Friday shift, I miss the quiet little town I grew up in. Where everything was with in a 25 min drive, nothing all that exciting ever happened, and most of all, where family was an arms reach away.

It's no secret that Kim and I are planning on moving away from Toronto. Kim is excited to move WHEREVER, and so am I. For the time being we have our sights on Hamilton. It is closer to Kim's family(well mine to now that we are married). And it is closer to Essex county, so my family will be a closer ride. That is something we really both decided is important to us lately. We want both sets of parents to be able to see their Grand child when ever they want, and Living in Toronto isn't good for that. Also, we don't want to raise a family in Toronto

It's funny how ya grow up eh? When your young and foolish you want nothing to do with family, you want to spend all your free time with friends. As you grow up, friends come and go, some pass on, others move away. You loose contact with a lot of them. But Family, cousins, friends, relatives I suppose they stick around. Blood is thicker than water right?

Heh, look at me, I turned a selfless advertisement for my family's restaurant into an emotional rollercoster ride!


Go check out that website!

2 comments:

Patti said...

Mmmmm, I am so hungry after looking at the website! I'll have to check it out sometime when I'm down that way.

There's a lovely place in Waterdown, too - Tea At The White House - although I'm sure it's not as wonderful as yours.

:)

Don G said...

Took your advise and visited the web page for the restaurant in Kingsville. They did a good job with that just like they do with the food.
I can understand your missing the family and the town. It's a great place to be.