I find the decision made by Jack Layton of the federal NDP party regarding the exclusion of Elezebeth May from the Federal Leadership Debate offensive. If anything the NDP party should understand the plight of a FEDERAL party struggling for recognition, they are not themselves to far form that point in their history. Or have the forgotton? (for those of you who are in the dark, Elezebeth May leader of the Greens has been excluded from TV leadership debates. Jack Layton of the NDP said if SHE is included in the debate than he will not attend).
Now, I am not a Green, I do not place my vote there, but I am pleased that I have the choice to if I desire. Now, since my tax dollars help fund Green Party Campaigns(so I assume it does in any riding where the Green candidate recieves at least 10% of the popular vote), I feel I have a right to hear their platform. In fact Mr. Layton as a voter I DEMAND it.
It appears to me as an imature reaction on both sides, and I can state loud and proud that the Federal NDP party has just lost themselves one voter, it's a shame too because they appear to need all the votes they can get.
13% of popular vote isn't that far from 10% Jack ol boy, I believe your head has grown just a wee bit too big.
The question remains however, where will I throw my vote.
The Liberal promise to double child care funding for low income parents seem's mighty tempting to me.
A dieasle tax cut? Please Stephen you can do better than THAT!
So, Mr Harper and Mr Layton, if Elezebeth May is there you wont be? Fine by me. With that attitude good bye, so long, fare well and asta-la-viesta
5 comments:
Yeah, I'm not happy about that exclusion either.
Good post.
I almost hesitate to post because I hate talking politics--prefer to do my talking at the poll. But, in this case I agree with the incumbents. The rule as I uderstand it is that you have to have representation in Pariament to enter the debates. The Green's have to prove themselves and get someone elected before they earn the privilege of publicly debating the issues. They are a so-called party in the election process but, not in Parliament. They should prove themselves first before they are allowed to run up the cost of the debates by adding addituional airtime needed to accommodate them.
That decision to exclude her has been turned around and they are now going to allow her to be there. The debates don't do anything as far as I am concerned to change my viewpoint. When it comes to politics, words have become cheap and meaningless. It's actions that count. At least Harper has done what he said he would do, even if you disagree with it. That's more than I can say for the others.
Don,
Thank you for your words, I hadn't thought of it from that angle actually. Although my opinion has not changed, I do understand the other side of the fence a little better.
Your point of view came across very clear. Thanks :)
Doug,
Harper has done a lot better than I had thought he would, I will give you that.
Post a Comment