Saturday, May 24, 2008

Yard Sale-ing

So today was a relaxing saturday Morning. My resident and I took a nice country drive, spent some time at the park, ate some ice cream and then hit up a few yard sales to pass the time.

Here is my gripe about yard sales! Firstly, half of the time you have to follow a maze of poorly constructed signs written in bright lettering against a bright backdrop making them hard enough to see. Following them through maze like sub devisions until you find the yard sale in question. To your utter dismay it is a few tables filled with old cups plates, figurines and baby clothes. The ones that are big and worth a look are often raided by the elderly yard sale pro's before 9 leaving nothing left but the scraps for us poor late youngsters!

Second complaint is the prices being asked. Alot of the time things are cheap and people know that. After all, a yard sale is an excuse to get rid of all the junk you'd otherwise throw out and hope to make a tiny bit of cash on the side. But when people want 200 bucks for an old junky TV, or 500 for a out of date computer...well get real people. Oh, I understand the centiment "I paied 2000 for this when it was new!" but old junk is like cars people, the value does not go up, it goes down...fast.

Thirdly, so many yard sales so close to one another. Wouldn't it be easier to talk to your community and set up a weekend where EVERYONE gets together and has a yard sale like one BIG super sale? Sure would save us all some time and hassle of trying to find your house only to drive by dissapointed with your two tiny tables of children's puzzles and baby clothes...

Toasters, 80's appliances. Big ugly looking stuff you haven't an idea how to use.

Here are some of the little gem's I saw today.

1) A humidifier the size of a small room
2) a Vaccume Cleaner from the 70's
3) an 8-track player
4) old rusty car parts
5) a photo album full of someone elses pictures
6) Do-it-yourself kits of ALL sorts
7) Ice Cream maker
8) Automatic TOAST butter-er
9) Stuff people bought off the home shopping channel or an info-mercial!
10) A cat(poor kitty)

Speaking of yard sales, Kim and I are having one soon...thats right! We have some junk to clear out to make room for the baby, and since our land lords have some junk to get rid of, we decided in a week or two to sell it together.

Some of the little Gems include

1) A mid sized TV with Stand and DVD player
2) A full sized Couch
3) Full lightly used Pot set
4) HP Pavilion Lap top (3 years old)
5) Full sized corner unit Computer desk
6) Various shelving units of various sizes
7) clothes, Jackets, Blankets, ect...
8) Stuffed Animals GALORE!
9) odd's and ends and such
10) Various Electronic junk

those are just a few of the things, so if anyone knows anyone in need of some lightly used junk, let me know.

Wile your at it, post a list of the funniest things you've EVER been privliged enough to SEE for sale at a yard sale!

3 comments:

Don G said...

How much do you want for the laptop ?
What are the specs,on it ? System, amt. of Ram etc. etc.

Meredith said...

Weirdest yard sale junk?

Hmmm.... there's probably a lot, but I think when you see leftovers from "home business" type stuff... personalized pet stuff, candles, etc.

One yard sale had about 50 toothbrushes still in packages... I wonder where they came from?

D_Morrison said...

I can't remember the specs off hand Don. I can get back to you on that however. It's roughly three years old, 10 gig hard drive I should believe as for Ram I'll really have to get back to you.

Meredith, pet stuff and home business stuff I can't believe I left that out!

Mostly the stuff I find at yard sales and find amusing is the old junk that person probally bought from a yard sale himself and is now selling off.