Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Oh my goodness MYOB

Ok, so we had a little frustration moment on the bus today. Ariana was crying because it was close to her feeding time, and nothing would console her. We were two stops from home so we were not going to start feeding her on the bus or something stupid like that. Also, it was cold outside so it's not like we could have fed her OUTSIDE or anything like that. So she's crying...not her polite little mummer but her full blown "I'm pissed off listen to me NOW" cry.

For some reason, PEOPLE can't just leave well enough alone. If you hear someone elses baby crying a light goes off in some people's mind. "I think I'll help" or "those people clearly don't know what they are doing they must need my expert opinion". I'm sure you know who you are, we've all done it I'm sure from time to time.

Well, in this case, someone shouts out "Take the baby out and rock her!". When I heard this I couldn't believe myself. There we are on a shakey, jerky jolty public bus with NO seats in sight...and this sob has the nerve to say "take her out and rock her". ....right...so when the bus comes to a stop we can fly through the wild sheild? Or drop her when we fall on our face?

Goodness, I've never been so bothered in my life. Kim looked around with fire in her eyes and said "Who said that!?" No one fessed up. So I said alloud. "That's a real brainer of an idea there...unbuckle and pick up a baby on a busy public bus..." This isn't a toddler or a 6 month old...she's a 3 week old infant people...she's going to cry...deal with it.

When someone elses baby is crying let them handle it. There is no need to rush to their aid or throw in your unwanted advice. If a parent (even a NEW parent) wants advice they will ask their mother/mother in law or their friends. If they didn't ask you for advice, chances are they don't WANT your advice. Speically if you are a perfect stranger!

Edit: I am not saying all this to chastise our good friends who have been such a great help so far. This is mainly aimed at perfect strangers who feel the need to "help out" when their help is neither called for nor wanted.

1 comment:

Dougie G said...

Unfortunately, people are ignorant. I deal with this sort of thing every day, and you are going to continue to deal with it when you ride the bus. My best advice is just ignore them as thought they don't exist. Getting upset is only going to hurt you and ultimately affect the baby when she picks up on your frustration. Believe me , your confronting them does absolutely nothing, they don't learn and it may even escalate the situation and you certainly don't want that.