My parents were down a week ago, and one dish we always use to eat when I was young, is Rabbit.
Of course my parents didn't tell us it was Rabbit until we were much older, still I always remember how tasty it was.
So as a nice supprise I cooked Rabbit for my wife and my parents that day. I also learnt some interesting facts about this particular game meat.
First of all, Rabbit is almost 98% Fat free...wow...recomended for its health bennifits by many doctors. Second, Rabbit perhaps one of the few meats the human body can completly break down for energy. I don't know what that means but it sounds good. Finally, with a mild flavour and nice texture, it makes good for stew, pan frying or roasting. My method, borrowed from me dear mother is simple.
Cut Rabbit into pieces
Place pieces in Roasting pan
Spray with White Wine
Olive Oil
Rose Mary
Basil
Salt
Pepper
Fresh Garlic
Cover and cook on 325 for an hour. Then un cover, add more water or whine to moisten and cook for another hour.
What will you need?
A cutting board
A very sharp knife(hopefully one your not too attached to)
a mallot (or a strong person around to help you)
1 fresh Rabbit (hopefully already cleaned)
Ahem, all those bennifits aside, it is a lot of work to prepare a from store to dinner place. It took me a wile to hack and slash and peace this bunny. I couldn't immagine having to clean it took. Also, for the size of animal you get, it's a bit pricy. I paied 17.50 for a rabbit that fed 5 people with not much to spare. You can easily buy beef, chicken, pork, Turkey or Lamb for a little cheaper and it'll strech further.
But if its a gamey meat you want, there are few choices at your local grocery store. Quail, Rabbit, Goat and some game fish thats about it. I know some places that sell Ox tail and bison burgers. But as for some of the tastier game meats, like venison, boar, bear and Ostrich...your outta luck.
Hungry anyone?
3 comments:
Sounds good. Maybe next time we will stay and try some!
Just pick a date and we can get together and have some. I'd love to make it again!
oxtails are actually quite nice.
Post a Comment