Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Best Rice Dish EVER

A man I work with cooks this dish for his individual all the time and if I am on shift every now and then he will share it with me. It took me many a time to figure out how he makes it JUST right. Finally he divulged the recipie to me. I have copy and pasted the general recipie I found on the interent, but this is pritty much how he does it too. I believe It is a Nigearian dish. The Measurements are a little confusing I'm not sure what a B is or how to "Liquidised" something. But its generally easy to follow. I assure you, it is the BEST rice dish you will EVER taste.

JOLLOF RICE serves 4

600g/11b rice
1 kg / 21b meat or chicken
2 chillies (liquidised)
I onion (liquidised)
11tr / 2pints stock
I onion (sliced)
3 fresh tomatoes (sliced)
200ml groundnut oil
Seasoning
I bay leaf
teaspoon thyme
I clove garlic
I teaspoon curry
I teaspoon nutmegsalt to taste

Wash the meat or chicken, season with garlic and salt. Place to cook until tender. Wash the rice and leave to drain. Heat the oil and fry the cooked meat until brown, remove from pan and fry the ground tomatoes, onions and chillies for 10minutes. Add the tomato puree and seasonings, fry for another 5 minutes, add the washed rice and gradually add the stock, stirring con tinuously.Bring to the boil and reduced heat, cook for 15min utes until nearly soft. Add the sliced tomatoes, onions and fried meats. Stir cover and allow to steam until all the liquid is well absorbed. Serve hot garnished with meat pieces and boiled eggs.

4 comments:

Dougie G said...

mmmmmmm.......... sounds good! Now I know what you are making me for dinner next time we come over!!

Emily said...

it's actually LB not just B and it stands for POUNDS

Emily said...

"Liquidised": cook it until it is soft and then puree it. You basically want it to be a liquid instead of a solid. You can either boil the item or steam it, the puree it.

Emily said...

600g/1 1b rice
1 kg / 2 1b meat or chicken
2 chillies (liquidised)
I onion (liquidised)
1 1tr / 2pints stock

Will translate into
1 pound rice
2 pounds meat or chicken
2 chillies pureed
1 onion pureed
1 L/2 pints stock