I know we are use to hearing rants or game/movie reviews in my blogs, but this will be something differnt (Melody is clutching her heart in shock right now I just know it!) positive update!I had a very nice Canada Day.
I spent the morning with Kim relaxing around the house. She had to work, but I had the day off. So once she went off to work, I took a walk down to Mel Lastmen Squair to meet up with a few friends for a picnic/potluck dinner. Dave, Katherine, Jon and Nick were there, as well as a few new faces to me.I arrived early with Dave and we watched an AMAZING jazz group. Four men each playing the Sax in creative ways with dancing and everything. I was amazed! Even more so that these blues/jazz/everything players were all white. Who says white men can't play the blues?
There were a few buskers and some clowns, none of them were able to draw a big crowd, we felt sorry for them and watched for a wile, but the Jazz people stole their thunder and grabbed everyone's attention.We had ALOT of food. Sandwitches, drinks, chips, chicken, salads, cheese and crackers, cookies you name it! We attracted more than a few odd looks, but mostly positive comments from others waiting for the fire works to start.
As the quiet park grew into a crowded...er..well...crowd a few people commented on our GOOD idea. (Thats one place you CAN bring your own food Elaine!)AS it grew dark, we found ourselves offering food to a few neabours on the grass, and we had our pictures taken by more than a few "new" Canadians and visitors. We made friends with a man from Equidor(Sp) and his wife, who insisted on taking our picture and then having US take one with HIM with us. Then he ran off to find his wife and we took more pictures and talked. Two of the people with us spoke his language and found out his life story (he spoke english but I think its a rule when you find someone that speaks your native language you have to tell them your life story and become their life long friend).
I was supprised what a specital we had become. Lots of people took our picture, a few radio people asked us to scream "Happy Canada Day" into their mic. We even got a few news paper people to take our picture. Mind you we asked for NONE of this. We were just 7 white people sitting in Mel Lasmen sq on a blanket eating turkey sandwitches and chips! *Shrugs* we were given mini flags and lots of people wanted pictures with us. we took it in stride (I am searious! this really happened!)After that the fire works happened, and we cleaned up and went out seperate ways.
It was a great time.
(p.s. Don the Computer is ready for you any day now)
3 comments:
Wow, that sounds very fun!
Sounds like great day. We are called to be "salt" and "light" and I think you did that with the people from Ecuador. I spent the day with friends (including your mother-in-law), riding the bike trail from Bayfront Park to Cootes Paradise. Perfectly beautiful day from a weather standpoint. I'll be in touch about the computer.
Glad you had a good day. I had to work, but the bus wasn't very busy. Everything was closed almost. The Royal York South bus was fairly busy with people going down to the lake front. It was a beautiful day.
Post a Comment