Kim and I were watching a very interesting special last night on 20/20 that got us both thinking differently about a few things. The special was about Transgender and gender confused children.
First and foremost if you have not seen the news special you might not be able to follow but try anyhow.
Our hearts broke right away when we watched the story of a 6 year old born male child unfold before us. Born to normal typical parents, in a suburban atmosphere. Apparently normal looking child with a huge secret. He wanted to be a she.
Now my first thought was "yea ok he likes female clothes and stuff no big deal" but as we were told about this child all my defenses and pre-conceived ideas fell to pieces. Here is what we are told about this child. Ever since the child was old enough to move, he was drawn to female colours and items. He would cry when put in boys clothes and even as an infant would undo his onesies to make them look like dresses. When the child was 2 he would correct people when they called him a boy and he would say "I am a girl" when the child was in preschool he would insist on doing what the girls did and eventually would become very depressed when forced to act or be like a boy. He was even recorded as saying "Mommie why did god give me a peepee." One child at the age of 2 ACTUALLY tried to castrate himself! Later saying "it doesnt belong there mommie" my heart just BROKE!
As the child aged and approached school age. His parents began to understand what was going on. Dr's and gender specialists diagnosed the child with Gender Identity disorder. Believing it to be a genetic disorder in the brain when the child is still in the mothers womb. In essence a child born with a male body but with a mental gender identity of a female.
It is all together to easy for me to be discriminatory towards adults and teenagers who act as such, men dressing as women, and the such. But all together different when it is an infant or a child.
The special continued to follow the life of this child. Who entered Kindergarten basically a girl. Dressed like a girl, long hair, to look at the child he INDEED was a she. What really hit me was the 10 year old child in the same situation. At the age of 6 the child had threatened to kill himself. No not your typical childhood utterance you know "I hate you I never want to see you I wish I was dead!" but actual threats of suicide. The child even entered severe depression and said things like "God made a mistake! He gave me the wrong body" and "I wish I didn't exist". Children forced to live with bodies they HATE and detest convinced that someone somewhere has played a horrible prank on them. The ultimate cosmic prank.
At first I was starch in my beliefs "well you know the parents should discourage this and get the child counseling" but when I saw the child just hating himself, just loathing it. Heard testimonies from 16 year old transgender who had slit their wrists and throats in depression, and TODDLERS convinced they are the opposite gender...I have to say I have a lot to rethink and reconsider.
The first question we as Christians are to consider is what are we to DO with this? How are we to digest this? Once the conversations of "original sin" and "the evils the enemy has placed in this world" have come and past, we are still left with children who need love, guidance and support. When Kim asked me "what would you do if that was our child" my answer came swift and true. "I would love my child and support them."
As fatherhood approaches I find myself thinking about such things. To love and support your child, to accept them for what they turn out to be. It does not mean I have to denounce my beliefs, it does not mean I have to become a heathen, but it does mean that my underlining responsibility and the number one desire of my heart is to LOVE my child. Because that is exactly what they are...my child. I still haven’t got it all figured out. But what I do know is these children need serious love, serious acceptance and need to be understood. These are not adults who are thick skinned and who are aware of everything we are. These are innocent, confused and fragile children. Any thoughts?
2 comments:
I think very human on the face of the earth deserves unconditional love. The kind that only Jesus can really provide and people who allow that love to flow through them to others. Who knows what really causes these things and who really knows how to fix them, if indeed they need fixing. I think most of us look for the answers in all the wrong places and it causes all kinds of confusion and contraversy and we know who is the author of that. The answer for each individual, I believe lies in faith in Jesus who can provide the answer. Stay in relationship with him and he will " deliver you from evil". You are all going to be just fine.
"I think very human on the face of the earth deserves unconditional love. "
oops! That should say "every", not "very".
Post a Comment