56 Eccleston Dr (http://www.canpages.ca/page/ON/north-york/eccleswift-apartments-inc/1463111.html if you want to see the location)
Here are some of the positive features
- it has two bedrooms, both of them are big
- Hard-Wood Floors(Or at least cheap apartment style anyhow)
- Tile floors in Kitchen and bathroom and hallway.
- Multiple spacious closets
- A LINEN CLOSET!
- Building has an elevator
- VERY close to transit (2 min walk at most)
- Close to No Frills, Cinema, Lablaws Super Center, Gas Station
- Close to Church
- Apartment next door are friends from church
- Walls are white already primed for us to paint!
- Rent is Cheap, and almost all utilities are included
Con's about new apartment
- No AC (Needless to say we WILL be getting a window unit)
-Further east than we wanted
- old sort of ugly style kitchen cabinets. They are hard to explain you'd have to see them. There sort of like the ones a rustic bunk house or cabin in the woods would have. Not bad, but very ugly. They don't open at the side like most do, they slide open.
- Closets have sliding doors...I don't like french sliding doors they break to much.
- Electricity not included
Thats about it...
As you can see the Pro's out weigh the con's. It's a pretty freegen sweet apartment over all. I look forward to living there. The best part? WE HAVE A LINEN CLOSET! No more hiding the towels where ever they fit, no more rolling them up and sticking them in a basket in the corner. We have our very own LINEN CLOSET!
The building "doesn't allow pets" but since that's Illegal I didn't sign that part of the agreement. I explained myself to the landlord.
IF you didn't happen to know, its true. The Tenant protection act prohibits a Land Lord from infringing on a tenants right to choose what "possessions" they choose to have in their apartment (legal possessions of course). So, a pet is a possession...you own it...it belongs to you. Therefore a Land Lord has no power of what you have in YOUR apartment. They ALSO cannot refuse tenancy to you on the grounds of you not wanting to give up your pet or the fact that you have one.
HOWEVER there is a loop hole. A Land Lord can claim it is an allergy and it would infringe on their standard of living, or pose as a health risk. BUT since we are on the 4th floor and she is on the 1st floor I don't think that is an option.
My final note on this issue however is that Dogs are not very good apartment animals to begin with and perhaps owning a Dog and living in an apartment is LEGAL, but not a very GOOD idea. I assured her there would be no Dogs, not because "they said so" but because we were not dog people.
(believe it or not we get along quite well so far with out soon to be Land Lord. But if I've learnt ONE thing in my many years as a renter its this. STAND UP for your rights and don't be afraid of your Land Lord)
5 comments:
Hey, congrats! Definitely on the east side of the city, but sounds nice.
You're right about the pets issue, and glad your landlady was OK about it. That's cool.
Sounds nice. That's not far from where Kim and Catherine used to live and very close to your church. Is it electric heat? If so you may consider buying one of those small portable ceramic heaters. They really warm up the place and don't use much electricity. I used to heat my mobile home in the fall with one, instead of using the big furnace. They only cost about $40. My dad uses his downstairs and it heats his whole basement. Just a thought.
I sort-of disagree with the pet issue. At the moment, the people across the hall from me are SNAKE people. Yes, they have a massive snake! I've seen it twice - both times slithering around its owner's neck. Disgusting!! He wants to get a tarantula next. If, heaven forbid, I happen to see such a creature anywhere in the apartment building, I will be complaining.
As a side note. There was a note in the elevator of my apartment last week, saying:
"If you have lost your hampster, please see the assistant superintendent"
Sure, those are cute, but I still strike to kill.
that's not too far east actually - i used to live at Bayview/Eglinton and the TTC along that route is fantastic - six or seven routes run regularly and they have good night service if you ever need it!
- is it electric heating or is the heat included as well?
When we signed the rental aplication/leese there was a collum that read what is covered and what was not covered.
Heat
Gas
Water
was under the covered section and
Electricity
was under the list of things we have to pay
soooooo thats all I know about that
As far as the pet issue TLC; a person's right to own a pet I can't argue with. Nor can I argue with your right to "aim to kill" frankly.
However exoctic pets in an apartment setting, that is just a different matter altogether. I think people should be fair to the animal involved before they decide to get a pet. Does a dog deserve to be cramped into a tiny apartment? I don't think so.
Post a Comment