Friday, August 1, 2008

Everyone does it so I can too?

Such a silly logic? Don't you agree?

I often wonder, I mean by no means am I perfect myself. In fact I am sure at times I have committed many of the same "crimes" I myself am about to complain about. Still, something must be said for the "everyone does it so I can do it to" attitude some of us get from time to time.

Have you been guilty of the same?

Here's my first scenario.

Kim and I were sitting on the bench on Sheppard Station outside, waiting for a bus. There are two driveways in this bus terminal. One where the busses exit, and one where they enter. There are walls around the driveway, so the only way in or out is through these two driveways. Passengers must go downstairs and through the proper gates to exit, or enter.

They have placed a few large signs that read "Danger, no exit!" and "No enter! $500 Fine!"

This is normally enough to deter me, but on one occasion that I can remember I was guilty of exiting there.

What fascinates me is how many people enter through this little driveway, when the bus drivers are not around to see them. I was sitting with Kim and we saw a big black SUV pull into that bus Exit, let about 6 people OUT and continue to sit there and talk to them for about 5 min. Then the people waltzed into the bus terminal. Anyone who dared to look at them or who appeared ready to say something were met with one of those "Aww shut up you do it too!" looks. That silenced most protesters.

A few weeks before that I was alone on the same bench and saw a grand total of 5 separate people enter, and countless exit. Sorry, 5 TRY to enter. There was a TTC Special constable sitting there in his car...RIGHT beside the entrance and people ignored him and tried to enter. he would turn them away, and about 5 min later someone else would try. They were so brave as to think "aw he can't do anything to me" only to be surprised when they were turned back.

I'm left saying

"well you know its sort of the law!"

Next case scenario

People who flick their cig butts all over the place. As if it’s not smelly enough to deal with your choking tar smell, you carelessly flick your butt on the sidewalk and walk away. If someone says something, maybe you'll pick it up with a dirty look, but most of the time any protest is meet with that "Aw like you've never done any thing like that!" look.

Finally, Gum!

Know all those little black dots on the sidewalk? I was surprised to hear, that’s gum! Chewing gum spat out because someone's to lazy to keep the wrapper spit it there and toss it in one of the many trash bins around the city. Once again, any attempt to protest would be meet with the same reaction.

Well, asides from the rant-like-nature of this post. My real purpose is to dive into the question, why do we do it, and why do we have that attitude?

"Everyone does it so I can too"



It isn't a very logical way of thinking, it isn't very productive, and it doesn't seem all that mature. But I do it, you do it...no doubt we've all thought about it before. It's like a chain reaction, when we see one person do something illegal, wrong or just stupid, we tend to feel "entitled" to do the same.
Any thoughts?

2 comments:

Dougie G said...

I was looking at the work schedule for the maintenance people in the lunch room at one of the subway stations one day and do you know what one of the things is that is on there? They are scheduled 2 hours of an 8 hour shift for removing gum from the subway platform. That is a significant amount of time for one thing on a shift.From your observation it is either a bigger job than they have time for or they are not doing their jobs very good.

D_Morrison said...

The problem is Doung, even when they clean the gum off, if its been there more than a few weeks it turns into a tar like substence that is almost impossable to remove. If it is removed it leaves a black stain that is permenant.

It isn't the ttc's fault at all. It happens all over the place.