I know there is two sides to every story, but in this instance it really is mostly the other person's fault. Let me explain.
We live in an apartment complex. You know what that is right? A building, multi leveled, where many people live in sort of a community? Yes that's the one, Apartment. Note I didn't say a place where one person lives in solitude! This is very important to my point later on.
Well we have lived in the apartment setting for quite some time. From my days as a single man living in app 408 with a bunch of other single dudes...till now. Apartment living is quite common in the city. Now, there are a few things that sort of...come with the territory. Small spaces, bland setting(unless you paint), crazy high rent, and noise. Let me focus a lot more on that last one. NOISE.
If you have ever lived in a basement apartment you understand that NOISE comes with living in any apartment. If someone lives above you, in any standard rental unit, you are bound to hear some noise every now and then. Add a few children, a dog or two and aunt Gladas and you probably hear quite a bit.
Heck I remember living at home in our split level house I could hear every foot step the cats made when I was in the basement. Mom and Dad sounded like a heard of elephants...I can't imagine what I must have sounded like. If someone moves a chair, drops a toy, a cat jumps off a window, company over. These are all NORMAL REASONABLE and understandable sounds. If you live below someone, they may bother you, but in general you don't complain because you understand that as a human being you yourself make many of the same sounds, and the person living below you must also hear this from you.
Not in our case. We live above someone who is a Barron for noise. She has complained to the Super countless times about how "we move furniture all day". Yes lady you see we have nothing better to do than to RE-ARRANGE OUR APARTMENT all day JUST to bother you. I swear she is convinced that all we do each and every day is drag our book shelves and coffee table around. Then finish it up with a nice quiet game of TV toss.
At first I could shrug it off, but the complaints got more and more frequent. I began to monitor our movements, bought a play Matt for the baby, a rug for under the table, some plastic bottom chairs for guests who don't know how to silently move a chair as if your life depended on it(she is insane). None of this worked. She eventually CAME TO OUR DOOR and began half crying/complaining about her personal woes and how we were unbearable to live under.
We have a small family...and a baby who can't even WALK. Two cats (cats are not that loud) and I am hardly EVER home save for the late evening....I know for a fact that there are others in this building who would be much more difficult to live under. LARGE families, dogs...multiple toddlers...you get the picture? But even they would be completely with in their rights to make as much noise(With in reason) as you'd like.
If you live in an apartment complex be prepared to hear other people every now and then. Live with it, deal with it!
The super has explained to us many many times that this lady is crazy and that she complains every time a car drives to fast outside...or a bird makes to much noise(not really but you get the point right?). We don't feel so bad anymore. But as of late she has taken to banging loudly on the ceiling every time we so much as bump into a chair and it happens to make contact with the floor and make a sound. Even if we pick the damn chair up and place it down she gets angry. She has even woken Ariana up a few times with her immature ceiling banging. So what did we do? We politely complained to the super. We'll see what happens.
I think the day I move out I'll do some jumping jacks and have CHAIR races across the tile floor! Not really...but it'd be nice!
1 comment:
Dan, what you're dealing with is a poor soul who is suffering from Skzsophrenia (wrong spelling). We have a handful of them calling on the prayer lines all the time. It's a commom complaint. Of course, they are always wanting us to pray against those monsters upstairs who are deliberately trying to destroy their sanity. Amazing ! We never see ouselves, as others see us. Needless to say, we always refuse to pray the way they want. We always pray blessings on people. So, usually, they hang up on us in a snit. But, oddly, a few hours later they are back. I know one gal with the disease who is always complaining about the guy in the apartment across the court who is shooting arrows at her. She's called the cops. Those poor guys sure have to deal with a lot of different problems.
Have you tried praying for this lady ? It works wonders for me.
Post a Comment